29A - Venture Concept No.2
1) Venture Concept
Opportunity:
I strongly believe that every person has the need for this item.
Everyone scrapes themselves, burns themselves or cuts themselves. It’s simply
humanity. More so, the potential customers are the people that experience more
severe injuries. These would be burn victims and people who get into accidents.
The market is specifically for those willing to invest in better healing
parents and health addicts would be more likely to buy this product than your
average shopper. The nature of the need is based off of the injuries of others.
The environment creating this opportunity is the stagnation of the healing
market. People crave innovation. Customers are currently satisfying this need
by buying the regular bandages which simply cover up the injury while still
needing ointment or antibacterial. This opportunity is huge as the current
market for bandages is upwards of $500 million dollars. The window of
opportunity will be open depending on the rate of medical research and the
release of new bandages.
Innovation:
This innovation is new in comparison to other bandages because
it actually provides healing for the skin instead of simply covering it. The
bandage will have a layer of biodegradable scaffolding for a scab to form. The
faster a scab heals the less likely scarring or infection is to form. This is
more incrementally innovative in medical research, but it could change the drug
store bandage market. The bandages will be priced at a similar price-point as
current bandages, but slightly higher enough to reflect value. The materials
won’t be too pricey so this will allow for a profit.
Venture Concept:
I believe that customers are likely to switch to this product
because of its value. Once the research is done, the material should be
relatively cheap. Because of this, the price wouldn’t vary too differently from
current bandages. If we can offer better, more efficient healing, at a similar
price there is no reason for customers not to switch over – they just need to
be educated on the concept. The concept is that the bandage will provide a
scaffold for the scab to form. This would accelerate skin healing and help
prevent infection and scarring. Competitors would be big name bandage and
medical supply companies. Packaging and price points are very important.
Customers want multi-toned skin color options to allow multiple races to reap
the benefits of the product. Organizing a business will be the most difficult
because it will need to have support for the research, for the marketing and
advertising, and for the manufacturing. This will require a lot of technical background
so the venture initially could be pricier. As initial marketing, partnering
with hospitals and pharmacies to trial the product and promote it would be very
fruitful. This will allow introduction into the market through a trustworthy
source. Patients would trust and believe in the product and its credibility. Free
bandages could be given out with purchase or with visit to the doctor to
promote as well.
Three minor elements:
Important resource: The important resource for this venture is
my mentors. This will provide invaluable experience to the venture’s management
helping it excel. So many ventures fail because of their management –not
because of the idea.
What’s next? The venture will move forward to expand to salves
and ointments that could dry and provide more flexible healing – like a mask.
This could attack a market of people that get irritated by bandages on the
skin.
What’s next for me? In five years, I’d like to be able to sell
this venture to a large company like Johnson & Johnson. This would allow me
to profit from the idea and use what I have gained to start a new venture.
Large companies like J&J do have R&D in medical fields for their
technology so I believe selling a patent to them for them to develop would be
very profitable.
2) Feedback
I received
some really great feedback from my peers. Mostly, they focused on the marketing
aspect and my important resource. One of my peers gave me advice on the venture
concept in itself as he suggested that marketing through hospitals, doctors
offices, and pharmacies would be extremely beneficial. I agree and so I
inserted some ideas about that within my elements. My peers liked my important
resource as they agreed that mentors are extremely valuable. One other question
I received was if companies like Johnson & Johnson dabble in organics. I
researched this and confirmed that they have a whole R&D section dedicated
to medical technology so selling a patent to them would be an option in the
future if that was pursued. I very much appreciate the feedback I received
because it is extremely valuable to me.
3) Changes
Based on the feedback, I didn’t
change my venture concept too much besides the marketing section. I more or
less added to the end of it more ideas on how to approach it. I redacted some
statements about the market as well.
4) Visual!



Hey Jenna,
ReplyDeleteI really like the pictures you chose. They help me understand the need for your product better than the original venture concept on its own. Selling patents is a great idea that I never considered that seems promising. More and more of these companies are farming out their research and development to cut costs and risk which might help reduce the competition from huge companies.