26A - Celebrating Failure


1) This past semester I ran for my sorority president. I knew that it would be a very tight race because we both were extremely qualified and well respected. During elections, we have preliminary the week before which I ended up winning. While this doesn’t directly represent the outcome, usually it is a good predictor. I spent the next week before elections confident in myself and did not campaign for the rest of it, while my competitor was rallying her sources behind the scenes. It ended up being a very heated election for many girls within the sorority, and after a long period of pros and cons I ended up losing.

2) I learned not to take anything for granted. I thought that since I had won the primaries that I would be fine. I also felt that I had a strong enough reputation within the sorority that it would carry me through it even though my supporters and friends were more soft spoken.

3) There is a reason democracy works. Ultimately, I feel as though the elections worked out in the best way because I am able to dedicate myself to things I am truly passionate about. While I love the sorority, it would have consumed my life for the next year and I wouldn’t have done very well in some classes and I would be burnt out. I am able to volunteer and do consulting instead. Now I also feel more confident in myself moving forward. I learned how to represent myself in a crowd, and in the future when running for something I will know what tactics I should have. Emotionally it was hard. I did feel embarrassed because I live in the sorority house and am there for hours at a time every day. But, in the end it blew over very quickly and I moved forward. No one felt bad for me and I didn’t feel bad for myself. Life goes on.

Comments

  1. Interesting story and I bet you learned a lot from this experience. I believe I had my fair share of being over confident or being complacent and I think it is hard but we just have to force ourselves to keep the momentum going. Good that you see the bright side of it and you can explore other opportunities. As a senior, I was also hoping to get internships at well respected institutions and companies and felt I did well for the interviews but ended up not getting them. I then explored an opportunity that has now gained me way better connections and experience that would help me in my venture and future than if I had gone to the original internships I wanted. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenna,
    It’s great that you can find the silver lining in the situation. Not everyone can be proactive like that and come out of tough situations stronger. Life goes on is a great way to put it. If you decide to run again you’ll know exactly what to do and it’s probably great life experience or may even be a good story for one of those cliché interview questions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, I also try to find the silver lining in every situation. It's so important to accept your failures I order to grow from them. I also always believe in a plan, and when one door closes, another one opens. I wish you the best! Though, if you're not a senior, and it's still in your heart to run, YOU should. Sometimes if you have that little fire inside you, you just cant put it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment