25A – What’s Next?
Existing Market.
Step 1: Talk about what
you think is what's next in terms of products and services for your venture.
Ointments and salves are
next in this market. This would create new products for the venture with
similar healing benefits. This will also target people that get irritated skin
from wearing bandages.
Step 2: Interview three
customers who are already part of the market you have identified, and ask them
what they believe is next for a venture like yours. Describe to them your
business, and simply ask "What should we be doing that we aren't planning
to do?" Next, ask them about your ideas of what customers
might want next.
Interview 1: We should be
focusing on organic healing for the venture. What would Whole Foods want?
Interview 2: We should be
focusing on child healing specifically. Parents don’t want to buy adult
bandages for their children, so there should be a specific line for children.
Interview 3: We should be
focusing on healing for skin in the acne realm. How can this scaffold healing
be transferred to acne?
Step 3: Based on your own
expectations and the feedback you received from customers, set a path for the
future. In two to three paragraphs, describe what makes the most sense for your
venture in terms of growing in your existing market.
Based on the interviews,
I think that organic healing and children’s line makes the most sense. These
ideas are similar enough to the venture. In comparison, these ideas add more
diversity to the venture.
An organic line would be
very interesting. The logistics of the materials would need to be figured out,
but other than that it could be very successful. Possible bandages made out of
bamboo? Do the bandages need to be vegan or can they use animal based products?
A children’s line is a
very important idea. I never thought that parents wouldn’t want to buy normal
sized bandages for their kids and it’s a question I never asked. A whole line
for them could be very profitable especially because parents are one of my main
markets.
New Market.
Step 1: Identify a radically
different market from what you're currently planning to target. If you're
currently targeting B2B, think about going after a B2C market. If you're
currently targeting an affluent part of society, think about targeting a very
poor part of society.
I have not focused on the
market for the elderly. My interviews have been based around younger
individuals and children. I think that I need to make more elderly and nursing
home based products.
Step 2: Once you have
identified a radically different market, describe how you think your venture
concept might be able to create value for people in that market. You may have
to get creative with this -- that's OK -- and perfectly welcome!
I think that this venture
could create a lot of value within the market. Elderly skin tends to peel off
more easily – so bandages would need to be more delicate. The glue for the skin
could not be as strong. Also, the healing could be based more around IV
injections and other processes that are more common in nursing homes.
Step 3: Interview
two people from this new market. Again, describe to each interviewee what
your concept is. Then, ask them how they think your business might be
help to meet customers like them. What kinds of adaptations to the
product/service mix do they think you should make to be successful in this new
market?
Interview 1: The response
was not too exciting. They seemed to be happy with what they were given with
the services at the nursing home. Focusing more on internal healing would be
more valuable than external healing.
Interview 2: This was
more helpful of a response. They tend to fall a lot and scrape up their hands,
elbows, and knees. Bandages that aren’t as clunky for this would be really
helpful. They think that this could be moderatly successful because it is more
of a niche market.
Step 4: Reflect, in
two to three paragraphs, on what you learned about this new market. What
surprised you the most? Were any of your expectations/assumptions correct? Does
this new market, on second thought, appear to be as attractive as your existing
market? And so on.
What surprised me the
most was the lack of a market. The people I interviewed didn’t see the value.
They think that it should be more geared toward younger people. This market is
definitely not as appealing as my existing market.
One idea that I did get
was for focusing on healing of plastic surgery. Those who get plastic surgery
are the most conscious about scarring, therefore that could be a huge market if
it would prevent that.
Jenna,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your post. I really appreciated your reflection. I agree, I am in shock as well that the new people you interviewed didn't see the value of your product nor a market. However, do not let that effect your determination and outlook on it's future. Let it fuel your fire if anything! If there is a will, there is a way, and I definitely see opportunity for your product. I think looking into band aids for plastic surgery is a great next step and a way to make your market bigger as well.
I found it Interesting that you would go into a product with new lines of ointments since I think it would be difficult to differentiate your product without any major R&D as I would think its purely based on the make up of the substance/material.
ReplyDeleteI think the elderly/nursing one market would be a good market for you to target. In fact I would think the family of the elderly would be willing to pay for a product that helps wounds heal faster and make their quality of life better.
Hi Jenna!
ReplyDeleteI think it was interesting to see the different input your existing market interviewees put in. It was similar enough to help you get a good idea of what should be next, but it was interesting because everyone seemed to have a different specific need. I liked how you were able to narrow it down to organic healing. I also found it strange that the elderly were not interested in your product. I notice that they tend to cut more easily, so I would think they would be willing to explore better options.
Hey Jenna,
ReplyDeleteI think your what’s next for the current market is a great next step. Making a trusted forward thinking brand that covers all of someone’s needs makes a lot of sense. Interview 3 seems like it would have the best advice as far as my experiences go. Adult bandages come in all sizes and in my opinion, organic products should offer extra usefulness or it doesn’t make a whole bunch on sense to be organic just for the sake of being organic.
Jenna, Wonderful job on your post! I noticed that every interviewee has different specific need. Organic healing is something I'm very much interested in. I could see something Like this being sold at Whole Foods.
ReplyDelete