24A – Venture Concept No. 1
Opportunity:
I strongly believe that
every person has the need for this item. Everyone scrapes themselves, burns
themselves or cuts themselves. It’s simply humanity. More so, the potential
customers are the people that experience more severe injuries. These would be
burn victims and people who get into accidents. The market is specifically for
those willing to invest in better healing parents and health addicts would be
more likely to buy this product than your average shopper. The nature of the
need is based off of the injuries of others. The environment creating this
opportunity is the stagnation of the healing market. People crave innovation.
Customers are currently satisfying this need by buying the regular bandages
which simply cover up the injury while still needing ointment or antibacterial.
This opportunity is huge as the current market for bandages is upwards of $500
million dollars. The window of opportunity will be open depending on the rate
of medical research and the release of new bandages.
Innovation:
This innovation is new in
comparison to other bandages because it actually provides healing for the skin instead
of simply covering it. The bandage will have a layer of biodegradable
scaffolding for a scab to form. The faster a scab heals the less likely
scarring or infection is to form. This is more incrementally innovative in
medical research, but it could change the drug store bandage market. The
bandages will be priced at a similar price-point as current bandages, but
slightly higher enough to reflect value. The materials won’t be too pricey so
this will allow for a profit.
Venture Concept:
I believe that customers are
likely to switch to this product because of its value. Once the research is
done, the material should be relatively cheap. Because of this, the price wouldn’t
vary too differently from current bandages. If we can offer better, more efficient
healing, at a similar price there is no reason for customers not to switch
over. The concept is that the bandage will provide a scaffold for the scab to form.
This would accelerate skin healing and help prevent infection and scarring.
Competitors would be big name bandage and medical supply companies. Packaging
and price points are very important. Customers want multi-toned skin color
options to allow multiple races to reap the benefits of the product. Organizing
a business will be the most difficult because it will need to have support for
the research, for the marketing and advertising, and for the manufacturing.
This will require a lot of technical background so the venture initially could
be pricier.
Three minor elements:
Important resource: The
important resource for this venture is my mentors. This will provide invaluable
experience to the venture’s management helping it excel. So many ventures fail because
of their management –not because of the idea.
What’s next? The venture
will move forward to expand to salves and ointments that could dry and provide
more flexible healing – like a mask. This could attack a market of people that
get irritated by bandages on the skin.
What’s next for me? In five
years, I’d like to be able to sell this venture to a large company like Johnson
& Johnson. This would allow me to profit from the idea and use what I have
gained to start a new venture.
It's good that you have mentors as I think the guidance is something that I seek when learning from other entrepreneurs and it brings some comfort knowing what they have learnt and knowing what to do and what not to do. I was thinking that for marketing wise that it would be good to say how much faster would a wound heal with your bandage that would lead to people to buy it. However, I am not sure if that would be convincing enough to people so I was thinking maybe you could partner up with hospital and pharmacies to trial your product and promote it. Maybe free bandages could be given out as part of the marketing plan
ReplyDeleteHey Jenna,
ReplyDeleteI really like how well done this assignment is. You’ve managed to tie together all of the past assignments and lesson learned to formulate your specific opportunity and venture concept. I think mentors are an invaluable resource also. It’s great to have a free resource that can help you save time and money be avoiding the pitfalls they’ve already found.
Hi Jenna, you are doing an awesome job! I always learn so much from mentors, especially when I'm confused about what direction to go in. I like how confident you are with your statement about where you will be in 5 years. Johnson & Johnson would be an amazing company to sell to. Only thing, do they dabble in organics?
ReplyDelete