21A - Required Reading No.2
I decided to choose “Innovation and Entrepreneurship” by Pete
Drucker.
1.
What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The general theme of the
book was the practice and application of entrepreneurship. Drucker defines
innovation, focuses on managerial strategies, and examines practices and
policies.
2.
How did the book, in your
opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
This book very much enhanced everything I have learned during
ENT3003. The book also connected with my own entrepreneurship experiences,
specifically my experiences consulting in South Africa. The book discussed
consumer need a lot and also the value a service offers to a customer. Drucker
also emphasizes the need for innovation and entrepreneurship within society.
Dr. Pryor has done this throughout ENT3003 because it is the backbone of our communities.
3.
If you had to design an
exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise
involve?
An exercise for this book
would be based off of innovation. Quite honestly, the exercises we already do
in class represent the ideas in this book. A really great exercise would be to
read a newspaper and find an innovation area in your community. This exercise
would help the person to find a niche area to work in and analyze the
opportunities.
4. What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the
book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
The book is very similar to what I have learned in class. I was
quite surprise how much Drucker focused on dominating an area. His strategies
involve dominating a new market or existing market and changing the economic
characteristics of it. I found that the most interesting.
Hey Jenna!
ReplyDeleteI really like your choice! I’ve read a couple of Drucker’s other books awhile back and “Innovation and Entrepreneurship” had to be my third reflection. I think your exercise is very fitting for this book. There are so many instances of innovative revolutions caused by new events and trends that could be found or tracked in the morning paper. I think this exercise is simple yet really helpful .