16A
1) Describe five ways in which
you think you have human capital that is truly unique. What is it about you,
exactly, that makes you different? Write this up in a detailed list.
a.
Problem solving skills – I definitely think that I have stronger problem
solving skills than most. It is engrained in me through my engineering degree
and also just by how I look at the world
b.
Empathy – I try my best to
be empathetic towards others. I try to take a step back and understand what
others are going through whenever I want to judge them.
c.
Honesty – I’m extremely
honest to the point of being blunt. This aids in my communication skills
because I will never let anything be swept under the rug. I want to know what’s
going on and I want to attack it immediately.
d.
My range of experiences – I do think between my family experiences, high
school, and college that I have had a lot more go on in my life than others. Everything
that I have gone through personally makes me stronger – and I am definitely one
tough cookie.
e. Silent leadership – I tend to be the voice for others in the room that
won’t speak up. I am definitely more of a listener, and I lead through my
actions. This has always been the way that I have acted, and it is one of those
characteristics that are engrained within me.
2) Interview the five people
who know you the best. Ask them what they think makes you different --
remember, focus on your knowledge, skills, abilities, emotions -- in other
words, your human capital. Try to stay away from discussing your other types of
capital (such as who you know). Record each interview. In your post,
please post each interview, as well as a two-three sentence summary of each
interview, explaining what your key takeaways are. There is no time limit on these
recordings. As long as you cover the information asked for above, that's all
you need to do.
a.
My first friend spoke about my
kindness. I’m always willing to be there for my friends and she thinks that is
my strongest trait. She always wants to come to me first because she knows that
I will listen and understand.
b.
My second friend spoke about how
outgoing I am. She said that I am always willing to take on a job, and she
looks up to me because of that. She says that I’m always so busy running around
doing something important.
c.
My third friend spoke about my
intelligence. She says she thinks that I’m her smartest friend. She says she
can’t even begin to imagine how I do what I do with my chemical engineering
major, and she’s always embarrassed to say that she is struggling with
marketing sometimes around me.
d.
My fourth friend spoke about how I
present myself. She says that my confidence is my biggest strength. She says
that she always notices that I have a respected presence when I enter a room of
my peers. She also says that I’m always polite and never cocky.
e.
My fifth friend again spoke about my
kindness and how I’m willing to help others. She says that I’m always there for
people, and even with all of my responsibilities that I always find time for
others.
3) Reflect on the
differences. How do you see yourself, and how do others see you? Are there
differences in how you assess yourself compared to others? What do you think
causes these differences? Do you think your interviewees are correct about you?
Finally, going back to your list from part 1, would you make any corrections to
the list? How?
My
friends don’t necessarily know everything that I’ve experienced in life, so I
never expected them to bring up my experiences as a strength. I think a lot of
similarities lie in what I think of myself and what others think of myself. I
think my friends see me as more outgoing that I think that I am, which is a
good thing I suppose. Also, I never thought that how I presented myself would
be a strength. It was interesting to hear. Also, I think that my intelligence could
sometimes be a weakness, because if people are embarrassed to talk about their
struggles with school around me, couldn’t that build walls?
Jenna,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on describing the five ways in which you have human capital. I think the one you mentioned on having great experiences is very significant. People trust others who know what they are doing, have been there before, etc. Additionally, being empathetic is a great characteristic to have as an entrepreneur. This enables you to notice other peoples unmet needs/problems and work towards a solution. In regards to the second part of the task, next time just upload video recordings of the interviews! The people I interviewed didn't want their faces to be shown, so I just uploaded their voices! Great job.