12A - Figuring Out Buyer Behavior

I have decided to choose the occasion-based segmentation for this product. This product would only be used on occasions of a bad enough cut, scab or burn. 

1. I first decided to interview my roommate who is an EMT. While many of her calls are for drunk students, she does often times see bad burns and ripped skin due to scooter accidents. She has a difficulty helping these wounds as there is a process to applying the bandages and airing out the scab. She said if there was a bandage like this to give her patients, she thinks it would be very effective. Since she is an EMT, she is trained on the best ways to help patients. She learns these skills through trainings. I believe that in a medical official's perspective, the bandages would be extremely useful.

2. Next I decided to interview a mother with a toddler. She says that her little boy is always scraping himself, but he also likes to pick at the scabs. If there was a way for them to heal faster that would be extremely helpful. What she does always look for at the stores are bandages that her son would like to wear, so they have to be decorated. She uses WebMD and mothers' sites/blogs to learn about the best ways to treat her son. She also talks to her own mother and friends. She thinks that this bandage could be helpful to her if they could help her son heal faster. She would be willing to pay for it as long as it came decorated.

3. Finally, I decided to interview a student on campus who has recently received a very large scooter burn on her leg. She said that she would do anything for a product that could help her wound heal quickly and not leave a scar. She also would want it to blend in with her skin tone so that people won't notice. She is embarrassed of it. She has searched the internet far and wide for ways to help her burn heal - including strange vitamins and supplements. She wishes the product I described exists. She is currently thinking of getting steroid cream prescribed to her but she said it is frustrating to have to go to the doctor's to get it.

Over-all this market segment had a great reaction to the product in their lives, and they seem to be willing to pay the money for it. I think aesthetic options are necessary for different age groups, but there are options.

Comments

  1. Jenna,
    I completely agree with the segment you chose. Injuries and cuts requiring fortunately tend to happen occasionally, however I feel like band aids and Neosporin is something all households and parents make sure they have. I like that the three people you interviewed were all very different, however since your segment is so general it works! A lot of people use products like band aids, which ultimately works in your favor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenna!
    I think it is interesting how you chose to segment based on occasion and not groups of people. I do believe it was a good idea to do that because it is in fact a situational need. I think it really helps your understanding of the need that you got interview an EMT. Its great to get approval from someone who works in the medical field. Its really interesting how much your idea has been through since the beginning of the semester, when you interviewed people that you though for sure would need the product, and now you have a totally different segment of people. Its exciting to see where this idea takes you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

17A - Elevator Pitch No. 2