8A - Solving the Problem
The product that I’ve decided fits
my opportunity is a fiber-based bandage that mimics the formation of scabs. The
fibers would be made of bio-materials that aid in scab formation and quicken
healing. These bandages would be available to both drug-store consumers and
hospitals. For hospitals, the fibers would be available in the pure-fibrous
form so that they can be directly applied to burns and wounds. This could mimic
the creation of a fiber-glass board that is flexible.
Current
research done in the area includes the application of currents and how
platelets build scabs. Specifically, the fibers if enhanced with an additive of
anti-bacterial cream could prevent infection and aid in healing. The fibers
could enhance scab formation by creating a bio bonding surface for the
platelets to attach to.
I do
believe that this product could revolutionize bandages to make it a more lucrative
business. This would also add to the rapidly growing bio-med industry. There is
a large market for this product as it can be applied to anyone with skin. This
product would also remove the allergic reactions that many patients have with
materials in bandages such as latex because it would provide a natural
platform.
I want this
product to be available to both drug-stores and hospitals because I believe
that it can benefit both markets. Like all over-the-counter drugs, the bandages
available in drug-stores would only contain mild anti-bacterial and wouldn’t be
sold in the solely fibrous form. For hospitals, these fibers could be combined
with steroids to increase burn healing and prevent scarring and infection.
One thing I cant help stop thinking about is if the surface of the bandage provides a structure for cells to repair from, wouldn’t it mean the skin will attach to the bandage once healing is done and when peeling it off , it would get stuck. No clue , just my concern based on my limited knowledge
ReplyDeleteI think price would be a very important factor for this product but if it is low cost enough and the benefits are tremendous then I think it would be successful (like a fast flu recovery pill )
Also , I would think that this form of bandage would be an economical version for hospitals or hospitals with lower budgets (public hospitals perhaps?) as I believe there are more advanced solutions for severe burns. But for less serious burns , this product could be applied.
I find your product very interesting. I am not a big science person, so I do not know much, but what I do know is it is annoying putting on bandages that practically just cover my wound as opposed to truly healing it. Is there any evidence that fiber enhances healing or would be able to do so? Also, I think your comment about the market applying to everyone with skin is way too general. You want to have prototypical customers. Maybe make them design or kid friendly and target kids, parents hate when their kids get hurt and would love to make them feel better faster.
ReplyDeleteFor these bandages to appear in drug stores the cost would have to be reasonable. I'm worried that these won't be cost efficient. Something like this also requires years of research and product testing. I do like the idea of providing natural platform. In today's age, an earth based platform is repeated and easily followed.
ReplyDelete