4A- Identifying an Opportunity
I believe
that there is an unmet need for bandages specifically for preventing blisters
on your heels and feet. As a dancer, I have always struggled with having
blisters but not having the proper protection and relief. Now, walking around
campus I still meet this struggle constantly and because of it my heels are
destroyed. Companies like Band-Aid have attempted blister relief bandages, but
I have found that they simply rip my skin off. Whenever I get new shoes, I will
want to wear them around to show them off but I find that I can’t walk more
than a mile in them without tearing up my feet. I will try to put on normal bandages,
but they always peel off quickly, don’t do the job, or show through the shoe on
my foot which in my opinion is not classy. A more customizable bandage for the
job needed that is also dynamic is needed.
#1: Female,
21 year-old, medium shoe collection.
· Do you often find yourself with
blisters on your feet from your shoes?
o
“No,
because I don’t buy new shoes very often.” “When I do buy new shoes and I feel
it rubbing I will put on a band-aid to protect it.”
· What do you currently do to protect
your feet from blisters, if anything?
o
“Socks
help or I’ll put on a bandage”
· Have you tried different bandage
options to protect your feet from uncomfortable shoes?
o
“No
because I don’t care enough and it isn’t a big enough worry to me”
· Do you ever encounter problems with
bandages staying on?
o
“Sometimes
because if you continue to wear the shoe, the bandage shifts”
· Would you want a better bandage to
protect your feet?
o
“I
would rather have shoes not rub” “I won’t spend extra money for this bandage”
· Would you want this bandage to be
customizable to the shape/fit of the shoe?
o
“No
because I would rather it be more adaptable to the shape of my ankle”
REFLECTION:
This would be the prototypical customer as she is a college student on her feet
all day.
#2: Female,
20 year-old, dancer, walks around campus with different shoes frequently.
· Do you often find yourself with
blisters on your feet from your shoes?
o
“No,
because I have thick scars on my feet from dance” “When I did dance though I
would constantly have blisters”
· What do you currently do to protect
your feet from blisters, if anything?
o
“I’ll
put a band-aid on”
· Have you tried different bandage
options to protect your feet from uncomfortable shoes?
o
“Yes,
I’ve tried the blister clear ones and the cloth ones”
· Do you ever encounter problems with
bandages staying on?
o
“Yes,
they will slide off of my foot”
· Would you want a better bandage to
protect your feet?
o
“No,
that’s unnecessary.” “What I have is good enough usually”
· Would you want this bandage to be
customizable to the shape/fit of the shoe?
o
“No
because I don’t need this”
REFLECTION:
As a dancer, I would have expected her to have more of a need for these
band-aids as dancers are always destroying their feet.
#3: Female,
58 year-old, has to wear nice shoes to work
· Do you often find yourself with
blisters on your feet from your shoes?
o
“No,
but my daughter does.” “I don’t buy shoes that don’t fit my feet”
· What do you currently do to protect
your feet from blisters, if anything?
o
“I
put a band-aid on”
· Have you tried different bandage
options to protect your feet from uncomfortable shoes?
o
“No,
because I don’t get blisters”
· Do you ever encounter problems with
bandages staying on?
o
“Sometimes,
the bandage will peel off but then I wear two band-aids”
· Would you want a better bandage to
protect your feet?
o
“Yes,
but not if it’s inconvenient”
· Would you want this bandage to be
customizable to the shape/fit of the shoe?
o
“No
because it should be customizable to the foot”
REFLECTION:
As someone not on her feet all day, I would not expect her to be a prototypical
customer. She is often sitting at her desk all day, not walking around.
SUMMARY:
I no longer
believe the opportunity exists for this. This is a problem that I come across
often for myself, but other prototypical customers do not feel the same way. It
is an unnecessary addition to life in their opinion. I don’t believe much of an
opportunity is still hear. If anything, the opportunity has already been solved
with the addition of moleskin to the insides of shoes. This opportunity is more
accurate than the one I thought up. I do believe that entrepreneurs should
adapt their ideas to opportunities presented because that will make the
business successful. With this being said, I do not believe that the
entrepreneur should stray from their morals and gut instincts. Many
entrepreneurs have been considered crazy before their ideas became a success.I
do think that this exercise is important because I often see people jumping
into a project without locating the need for it. Many products on the market
exist just for the sake of creativity, but nobody actually needs them in their
life. Customer base is important to a business.
I definitely see opportunity in your idea, being that I have experienced these same blisters myself. I have found bandaids that are circular, and completely cover the blister, yet still are prone to falling off which is uncomfortable. However, this has made me more keen and particular when choosing which shoes to purchase. I simply feel blisters result from either being too new (friction), or being too big/small. What if someone simply just stops buying the sneakers that give them blisters? Then they will no longer be a prototypical customer for you. While I think the bandaids are a great idea, think about the variables more. Your idea has immense potential!! Great job.
ReplyDeleteJenna, I'm so happy you picked this as your topic! As a dancer, I agree with everything you're saying. The opportunity is there, even for avid heel wearers. I know you concluded that opportunity doesn't exist anymore, but I think it does. After Game Day, so many of my friends were complaining about blisters. Customization his always a great market too.
ReplyDeleteHi Jenna,
ReplyDeleteI personally would not be a prototypical customer for this product simply because I have always preferred being barefoot and have really tough feet because of it. However, I do appreciate how you asked three pretty different people. It is interesting how some of the answers you received were not what you expected. It would have been interesting to see what kind of answers you would get had you asked more people, such as a male, or another type of athlete. I think you could have even gotten more specific by following the question of have they tried different band aid options with which ones did they like best and which ones did they like the least and why.