3A - Entrepreneurship Story

Last summer my entrepreneurship story started when I enrolled in the EESA program with the University of Florida. I traveled to Africa to work with entrepreneurs In the townships of Cape Town, South Africa. I was on a team with four other students from University of Colorado, University of Western Cape, and Texas A&M. We collaborated with two entrepreneurs within the area. Nozie, one of our entrepreneurs, owned a catering company and a storefront business. Sibulele, the other entrepreneur, had a transportation business and a catering business and was struggling to make any profit. This is one of the most amazing experiences that I have ever had because I was able to actually make a difference by consulting with these entrepreneurs. Within six weeks we changed the direction of their businesses in order to make a profit and support their living. In South Africa I learned that entrepreneurship does not come innately. It takes a lot of effort and a lot of learning to become a good entrepreneur,  but with passion anybody can start a business. My professor in South Africa, Dr. Morris, works within the School of Entrepreneurship at the University of Florida. I feel like I found a lifelong mentor in him because he had such amazing ideas and such a big heart. I had went on this journey because I was enrolled in a business minor, but Dr. Morris and this program convinced me to change my mind and enroll in entrepreneurship. I found that entrepreneurship is much more applicable to chemical engineering major because hopefully at some point in my life I’ll be able to start my own company with my own ideas. Entrepreneurship is so much more than a major, it’s a lifestyle.

Comments

  1. Jenna,

    To state the obvious, I am so jealous that you got to travel to Africa! It seems like your trip was so rewarding. It was interesting you wrote about this as your entrepreneurship story, as our own professor, talked about certain entrepreneurs he met when he traveled out of the country. What did you suggest Nozie do to improve his catering business and store front? How did you go about creating traction for Sibulele's transportation service? These people must have been ecstatic to have an aspiring entrepreneur like yourself help them with their businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, great name by the way, but wow! I cannot believed you traveled to Africa, absolutely amazing! Collaborating with other entrepreneurs is one of my favorite things. Having a small etsy business, I love collaborating. I also believe that entrepreneurship does not come easily. I had to work so hard for where I am with my business. I like how you mentioned passion. Keep moving towards your goals with always keeping passion in mind! I hope you can start your own business some day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

17A - Elevator Pitch No. 2